Friday, July 31, 2009

Egg Biryani

Last night's dinner? Egg Biryani from Sarovar, an Indian restaurant in North Austin. I generally don't care for the food there, but it's probably the only place in town with good egg biryani - maybe even the only place in town "with" Egg Biryani!

Word of caution - their spice meter is from another planet. I believe the cooks/owners are from Hyderabad, a place in India where they traditionally make Indian food spicier than usual. However, Sarovar still needs to get the difference between "good, senses-stimulating, spicy" and "crazy, can't-eat-spicy".

But my best memories of egg biryani? "Gulistan", a Persian Hole-in-the-wall in Mumbai. Working at Channel [V] meant all kinds of odd hours and weekends at the little bungalow the music channel called home. It also meant playing road-racing games on the network, junk-food bingeing on food like Egg Biryani and Baida Paratha (Egg-bread) from Gulistan and going home bleary-eyed at the end of a weekend. Fun times. Fun people. Great memories.

I am still looking for a picture of that egg biryani. If I get lucky, I'll find one and post it here...

1 comment:

Chennai Shopping Offers said...

I prepared Egg Biryani yesterday and everyone liked it.. This is the first time I am satisfied with my biryani cooking. I haven't been able to cook biryani/ pulao as nicely till yesterday. Thanks for the receipe from me and my husband.