Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Bringing Asia to College Station

Craving Thai/Chinese food in CLL (College Station)?

My two most favorite restaurants were the Thai place - Nipa Hot and the authentic Chinese restaurant - Jin's.

I reviewed Nipa Hot as a restaurant for Rediff once and as soon as I can find the review, will scan and post it here. Nipa Hot's spice levels were way too exaggerated even for our Indian palettes back then (when we were still new to the US, and had a higher spice tolerance). I remember some knuckle-headed desis decided to try the highest spice level as part of a bet, and they cried through it, but finished it - and ended up with diarrhea the next day! Quite honestly, I am not sure if Nipa Hot still exists, although here is a link to their location with phone number and other details: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&resnum=0&safe=on&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Nipa+Hot,+College+Station&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&latlng=7537041406668450751

As for Jin's - all you need to do is try one of their Tofu dishes and you will know why I said, "authentic". Of course, Jin's back then was a small-ish restaurant by Northgate... but I've heard they've expanded quite a bit now.

In 2006 my parents were in the US, so I took Vikram and them to College Station and we sat on the Northgate benches - eating sandwiches from New York Sub and Chinese Food from Jin's. Vikram loved Jin's of course and thought even the chicken tasted more like the one we had in Paris - non American, and more "authentic".

http://www.jinscafe.com/ (I just looked at the menu and they have Indian food on it? I can't vouch for that part of their menu, though).

I think there is one more Thai restaurant around the main campus area, this one is called Thai Taste... not too sure though. Might be worth a google search. Of course, it wasn't anything great.

I believe a Pei-Wei has now opened there as well, but when you have an option like Jin's, why bother with a chain that serves average food at best?

Happy Asian-food eating in CLL!

No comments: