Wednesday, August 19, 2009

When in Frisco...

...(and I mean the more boring Frisco - Frisco, Texas)... don't forget to explore the area for good food options because the more you look, the more you'll get!

Frisco's claim to fame in my mind was just Ikea. But little did I know that for the last eight years this place had become a tech hub of sorts. It even has tech street names (very inventive - like "Internet blvd" and "Technology drive" LOL)... and buildings numbered after router numbers (talk about geeks!) It also has the Dr. Pepper MLB baseball arena and a number of mid-sized as well as some big name companies housed in wannabe-modern, rather short buildings that have rather odd stone and metal sculptures all over (and I really mean "all over the place").

Given all that, obviously a number of great restaurant options have sprung up and managed to thrive here, apparently.

For our first lunch, my client was kind enough to take me to a more veggie-friendly place i.e. the greek buffet restaurant Fadi's http://www.fadiscuisine.com/. I believe it's a chain, though. The quality of food however was great and the choices staggering. It's also a little confusing as to how you order and what that means for choices you get on your plate, but we went with the flow. I ended up with the veggie sampler, a plate full of their yummy salads (not lettuce-intensive at all LOL) and 2 sides - a fried cauliflower dish and some yummy rice. Like other greek buffet places, you can grab as much pita bread as you want and head to the counter to order other things like Falafel or Gyros. My veggie sampler plate with 2 sides though was more than filling though. Two thumbs up for this vegetarian lunch option!

Dinner was a non-event. I kept researching all the local food options (and believe me there are many) but work forced me to stay stuck in my hotel room and I ended up ordering room service - blah!
But if you are ever in Frisco and want some decent dinner choices then per my research, here are some options:

  • Luigi's Pizza (reviews claim they are the only pizza place around that can come close to being called New York style pizza)
  • Chaucer's Sushi and Grill (my client couldn't stop raving about them, so it may be worth a try)
  • Italian restaurants and pizza places - Oddly enough the place is full of non-chain Italian restaurants and hole-in-the-wall pizza places. Some with good reviews online. I am guessing they are worth a try!

As for the much hyped about Gloria's for Tex-Mex or South American fare, I would never go back there as a vegetarian! My client took me there for lunch the next day, but apart from the chips I wasn't impressed with anything else!

Dear Chef at Gloria's: Veggie food isn't about spinach and an overload of cheese you know. And it wouldn't hurt to provide a corn tamale option as well on the menu! Gloria's needs to learn from Austin's various Mexican and Tex-Mex restaurants to make truly tasty vegetarian food and provide many options as well....

No comments: